CDR: Re: Voluntary Mandatory Taxes

petro petro at bounty.org
Tue Sep 12 21:17:30 PDT 2000

>Tim May wrote:
>>  "Here's something to think about - while queuing up for petrol this
>>  afternoon (yes - I confess to being a panic buyer) I worked out that
>>  OPEC is charging $30 a barrel and our government is taxing us at
>>  slightly over $150 a barrel - ouch!"
>
>this is true, and similiar pretty much all over europe.
>

>>  This is from the U.K., where tax policy is ahead of that of the U.S.
>>  Whilst we are (almost) ready to mcveigh the tax collectors and wipe
>>  out millions of burrowcrats, the Brits are quite sheeplike in
>>  accepting taxes which are several times the price of the underlying
>>  commodity. Germany, France, Sweden, Italy, and essentially all other
>>  European nations are similarly sheep-like in their acceptance of such
>>  taxes.
>
>sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. this is an
>economic puzzle, not a political one. food, clothes, tobacco, gas/petrol

	Then you neither understand politics, or economics.

	And no, I don't claim to either, but as near as I can tell
there isn't a  spits worth of difference between economics and
politics.

>and a couple other things have a very unique price structure, in that
>the demand is pretty much independent of price - you just need so much
>food or tobacco or gas, no matter what it costs, and you don't have any

	Food maybe, but tobacco and gas are both things that *can* be
done without.

--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government