CDR: Re: Check this out: http://www.antivore.com

sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon Sep 11 13:16:56 PDT 2000

>From the quick scan of their pages, what I'd gathered was that you'd
run your own antivore server, or "you" as in your company would run
one of these before you reach the ISP layer.

Me wrote:

> [...]

This says the meat of it.  So you don't send cleartext to your ISP, you send clear text to the antivore box in your company/home
office, which in turns encrypts your email for you, and sends it out via your ISP.

For the Feds to gain access to your emails, they'd have to install the carnivore box between you and the antivore box.

So basically the concept is the same as running your own proxy web server to filter out banner ads, but instead you use it for email
and it encrypts emails.

Yes, the faq says something really stupid - which is to ask your ISP to run antivore for you. Presumably this is because most users
are morons, and in this case, it won't help at all but to instill a false sense of security.

The way I see this: As always, this is a crutch for the lazy who don't want to put up with the cut/paste/enter passphrase hasles of
using PGP for non-integrated clients.

It's being pushed in the wrong direction for sure.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\