CDR: Re: Germans to tax PCs for Lars

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Mon Sep 11 10:08:07 PDT 2000

At 05:16 PM 9/8/00 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:

>The 'law' stems from the individual right to self-defence. Law is backed
>by violence because that is what is is about.

We wouldn't have a problem is it stopped at our individual right of self
defense.  Unfortunately, taxes, murder, regulation, and kidnapping are not
rights of self defense that I possess so I can't delegate them to the
state.  The state does all those things and therefore cannot be justified
under a theory of delegated rights to self defense.

DCF
----
You can horsewhip your Gascony Archers.  You can torture your Picardy
Spears. But don't try that with the Saxons or you'll have the whole brood
round your ears.  From the highest Thane in the county to the lowest
chained serf in the field.  They'll be at you and on you like hornets.  And
if you are wise you will yield.  -- Advice of a Norman Baron to his Son --
Kipling