CDR: RE: Re: Permutations in DES

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Thu Sep 7 07:06:12 PDT 2000

My understanding is that the initial permutation, (which essentially
writes the 64 bits of key in a 8 x 8 block by column and row,
then reads it out by row and column) was included to simplify
early DES chip hardware. It has no impact on the security of
the algorithm. If you know what you are doing, it does not effect
key agility in software implementations.

Peter Trei