CDR: Re: new brit spybook simmering

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Sep 6 15:25:29 PDT 2000

At 11:36 AM 9/6/00 -0400, Tim May wrote:
>At 10:46 AM -0400 9/6/00, David Honig wrote:
>>Those brits really need a 1st amendment...
>>(and the _SUN_ needs to buy a clue about physical security)
>>..good hype for Random House though..
>>
>>http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12986507
>>

>Firstly, there is nothing in the article suggesting that the "Sun" is
>acting under orders from the British government. In fact, the quotes
>imply otherwise.

Sure.  Its not censorship (yet).

But what kind of environment suffers a publisher who won't publish?

Information is leaked, at some risk, so that it can be broadcast.
Sure, this is a private action, but when someone gives you a treasure
you don't hide from it.  You don't ask the queen how far to bend over.

Maybe I'm spoiled on cryptome.  Maybe I'm a boorish 'Merikan
Bill-of-Rights-fetishist who doesn't sympathize with Germans burning CDs,
France threatening Yahoo, the UK rubber hosing passwords.   Who finds the
SUN's begging for a leash abhorrent.  So sue me.