CDR: GPG Slashdot discussion; Phil Z Interview

Bill Stewart or other lab user billstewart at att.com
Wed Sep 6 15:46:38 PDT 2000

Slashdot discussion at
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/09/06/1653255&mode=thread

OctaneZ asks: "What are the relative merits and drawbacks of using
Gnu Privacy Guard vs. Network Associates' PGP. I am not referring
to the fact that GPG doesn't use any restricted implemtations or
algorithems; or that GPG was not affected by the recent PGP hole;
but other more everyday issues. How is interoperability between the two.
As well as integration into common applications such as Eudora in
windows and others, possibly PINE, in LINUX. Could this be deployed
such that the learning curve of transitioning users from PGP to GPG is
not too steep?
I am a strong beleiver in encryption, and have used PGP for a very long
time,
however I would prefer to use an OpenSource/Non-restricted program;
however the usefullness of said program, as well as the security
takes precidence, at least in my book."

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/09/06/1916226&mode=thread

A reader writes "PGP's creator is participating in an online interview
this week.
	http://forums.itworld.com/webx?14@@.ee6caf5
Phil is mainly interested in  clearing the air about the
recently discovered ADK bug, but the larger topics of encryption
and worldwide organized snoop rings (Echelon) have already come up.
The interview is open to questions from anyone; runs through Friday
9/8."