CDR: new brit spybook simmering

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Sep 6 07:46:45 PDT 2000

Those brits really need a 1st amendment...
(and the _SUN_ needs to buy a clue about physical security)
..good hype for Random House though..

http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12986507

                           WEDNESDAY, 06 SEPTEMBER, 2000

                   SUN PUTS SPY
                   SECRETS UNDER
                   LOCK AND KEY

                    Details ... Dame Stella Rimington

                   EXCLUSIVE

                   By JOHN KAY

                   THE Sun has been handed a copy of a
                   red-hot book of spy secrets written by
                   the former head of MI5.

                   The manuscript by Dame Stella
                   Rimington is now being vetted by
                   security chiefs to decide if it can be
                   published in ANY form.

                   Many of them want to ban A Life Of
                   Surprises because it is packed with
                   detail about Dame Stella's career -
                   especially her four years as MI5 boss.

                   We spent weeks checking the facts in
                   the book to establish it was not a
                   hoax. The manuscript is safely locked
                   in The Sun's safe.

                   Then we contacted Downing Street
                   chiefs to arrange for the red-hot
                   document to be collected.

                   We decided it was not in the national
                   interest to reveal any of the book's
                   more sensitive contents.

                   But we CAN disclose that it touches
                   on such matters as spy provisions in
                   the Cold War, the ultra-secret SAS
                   and terrorism.

                   Top secret ... we decided it was not
                    in national interest to reveal any
                               details

                   It also includes references to the
                   left-wing Militant Tendency and the
                   Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

                   The book - which is packed with
                   detail about Dame Stella's 29-year
                   career in the secret service - came
                   into our hands anonymously.

                   And one theory was that a
                   disgruntled spook at MI5's rival
                   organisation MI6 arranged for the
                   copy to be delivered to us in a bid to
                   sabotage publication.

                   The Sun exclusively revealed last May
                   that 65-year-old Dame Stella - given
                   her title in the 1996 New Year's
                   Honours - had written her memoirs.

                   She submitted a draft to the
                   Government seeking official approval
                   to publish, which has not yet been
                   granted.

                   But the serving heads of MI5 and
                   MI6, Stephen Lander and Richard
                   Dearlove, together with Cabinet
                   Secretary Sir Richard Wilson, all
                   wanted the book banned.

                   Some senior MI6 officers were so
                   outraged they demanded to have
                   Dame Stella arrested under the
                   Official Secrets Act.

                      Safe as houses ... we locked
                      book up amid tight security

                   Home Secretary Jack Straw fears a
                   ban could be challenged under the
                   new human rights act which becomes
                   law next month.

                   Mother-of-two Dame Stella, who
                   retired from the #90,000-a-year job in
                   1996, has already been offered a
                   #500,000 advance by publishers
                   Random House.

                   And it is believed she could earn up
                   to #1million through worldwide sales
                   and serialisations.

                   But in a postscript, Dame Stella says:
                   "As I write this in January 2000,
                   nearly four years on, I don't know if
                   what I have written will ever be
                   published.

                   "I have not yet told my former
                   colleagues that I am writing it, and
                   when I do, and when they see what I
                   have written, there may be such a
                   furore that it will never see the light
                   of day.

                   "I hope it does because I think the
                   story it tells is an important
                   counterbalance to the scandals and
                   revelations that have been too much
                   the currency of writing on British
                   intelligence."

                   She adds: "So if anyone ever reads
                   this, I hope you enjoy it."

                      Honour ... MI5's first woman
                    boss being made a Dame in 1996

                   The book describes the casual way in
                   which she was recruited while
                   working as a civil servant in India -
                   when the resident MI5 agent
                   whispered in her ear: "Pst, do you
                   want to be a spy?"

                   It discloses how she rapidly worked
                   her way up the ladder in a profession
                   dominated by men.

                   The book is dotted with humorous
                   anecdotes including her dealings with
                   ex-PMs Maggie Thatcher and John
                   Major.

                   There is also much detail about the
                   "methodology" of MI5 - especially
                   over counter-espionage and the war
                   against the IRA.

                   Dame Stella, who is immensely proud
                   to have been Britain's first female
                   spymaster, claims credit for
                   overseeing a large increase in the
                   number of women spooks.

                   Security chiefs want to stop
                   publication because they fear
                   information being given to Britain's
                   enemies - and to avoid being accused
                   of double standards.

                   The Government went to great
                   lengths to try to ban the Spycatcher
                   memoirs of former MI5 bugging
                   expert Peter Wright.

                   Ex-MI5 officer David Shayler has
                   returned to Britain to face charges
                   under the Official Secrets Act for
                   writing about the secret service.

                   And ex-MI6 officer Richard Tomlinson
                   was jailed for trying to publish his
                   autobiography.

                      Shock ... Sun story last May

                   A senior government security source
                   said: "This is what is so appalling. It
                   is not so much the content, it is the
                   principle of her writing it which is all
                   so wrong.

                   "She should just keep quiet and enjoy
                   her sizeable pension and income from
                   directorships.

                   "By writing her book she is only
                   encouraging other spies to start
                   penning their own memoirs." Copies
                   of the manuscript are understood to
                   have been circulated to MI5, MI6,
                   Special Branch, senior civil servants
                   and government ministers.

                   Another security source said: "The
                   book does contain sensitive
                   information but there is no question
                   of Dame Stella naming any of our
                   agents. The biggest fear is that it will
                   open the floodgates."

                   Leading security expert Chris Dobson,
                   who has written 15 books on spies
                   and terrorists, said: "I congratulate