CDR: Re: Treatment of subjugated people (and bagpipes)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Sep 5 21:34:07 PDT 2000

     --

At 07:17 PM 9/4/2000 +0100, ocorrain at esatclear.ie wrote:
 > Patrick would have spoken Gaelic or Latin as his first language.The
 > Irish would have been no more difficult to understand than a
 > Californian to a Noo Yawker. The upper echelons of Irish society may
 > even have spoken Latin.

  The upper echelons of Irish society did not speak Latin, and the
inhabitants of England at that time did not speak Gaelic.  Ireland had
never been conquered by the Romans.  Latin had long since ceased to be the
language of civilization, and had become merely the language of
conquerors.  Irish literature at the time was vigorous and thriving, while
secular Roman literature at the time was non-existent.  The nearest thing
to literate and readable works produced in Latin at that time were
evangelical texts created Christian proselytizers.   The greatest
literature of that era was Augustine's "confessions", which gives you an
indication of how low the Roman civilization had sunk.   At that time
people learnt latin only because their masters shouted at them in latin,
not because there was anything interesting to read or hear.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      jLpeTtmZcxp+K3zt6NovjkMT3+D13j0NLuDiBYZp
      4NDsFXixvkrTO78zJc30/1dE3TfFaF7VPUGFyfBdz