CDR: export reg timewarp? (Re: RC4 source as a literate program)

Michael Motyka mmotyka at lsil.com
Tue Sep 5 09:23:59 PDT 2000

> The US export regulations no longer prevent export of crypto.  PGP
> exported binary copies of PGP from US websites, as now do many other
> companies.  Crypto source is exported also from numerous web sites.
>
> I don't follow why all the discussion talking as if ITAR and EARs were
> still in effect in unmodified form.
>
> Adam

There is still the prior restraint of having to notify BXA when code is
posted.

And there is still the influence of the securty types over export
licensing.

Also there is the recent DeCSS nonsense. Linking is not speech?

So what is interesting to me is not so much crypto export regs as it is
when is something speech and when is it not. I'm pretty much at peace
with my own opinion that I can write and publish in electronic form
anything that I can on paper in any language I please and that nobody
has any business trying to control me. The different treatment of
electronic vs. paper publishing is still open even if the crypto regs
have been tweaked

Mike