CDR: Re: about this list, and a poor man's crypto

Steven Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Mon Sep 4 13:01:47 PDT 2000

"Marcello 'R.D.O.' Magnifico" wrote:

> I'm telling you I'm leaving, and why.

Don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass on the way out.

That being said, you make some points worth addressing.

> 1. The list appears to be USA-centric, and Internet covers the whole world.

True, both parts. However, it seems that the majority of the regular
posters are American, and naturally are concerned about American
issues. Also, like it or not, the US is the behemoth of today's world,
and American regulations on crypto or the Internet will have an impact
on the rest of the world.

> 2. I'm not bragging around about what illegal I did (if I ever did) and why
> I think I'm right (of course I am! ;->) and why the other guys are wrong
> (of course they are, indeed! ;->)

Uh, ok, thanks for sharing.

> 3. I expected a lot of tech issues and found instead a bunch of:
>         -discussions on racism, religion, gov't behavior worldwide
>         -"we hate pigs"
>         -US local laws discussions (see 1)
>         -simple fluff and/or flaming.

Most unmoderated Usenet groups and mailing lists have a sizeable share
of "chatting" between participants. It's a fact of life. You can put
up with it, address it intelligently with filters or other means,
whine about it, or leave.

Coderpunks is a mailing list devoted to programming issues around
crypto. It has much less chatting and other cruft. See the archive at
http://www.mail-archive.com/coderpunks%40toad.com/
Subscribe to the list via a "subscribe coderpunks" message to
majordomo at toad.com

By the way, I don't recall having seen any on-topic posts from you.
Did you do anything to improve the signal-to-noise ratio on c-punks,
or did you just complain about it?

> 4. Some smeghead is boycotting the list by subscribing it to other lists,
> or the list address went into some spammer's archive spreaded worldwide.

That annoys many of the regular participants, too, as you might note
from reading the traffic regularly.

You might try reading c-punks on http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks
That'll let you read the traffic on threads that interest you without
being bothered by threads that don't.

--
Steve Furlong, Computer Condottiere     Have GNU, will travel
   518-374-4720     sfurlong at acmenet.net