CDR: Re: europe physical meeting

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Sep 4 09:42:47 PDT 2000

At 2:19 PM +0200 9/4/00, Tom Vogt wrote:

>- a place
>=========
>since the number of participants is a total variable, that's a difficult
>part. I'm currently looking for some kind of cafe or other place with
>both indoors and outdoors seats/tables that's large enough, has an
>acceptable atmosphere and is otherwise suitable.
>

>- an agenda
>===========
>there should be at least a rough outline and a topic or two. if anyone
>wants to speak about a specific topic, tell me.

First, good luck on your meeting.

Second, here's my experience with informal Cypherpunks physical meetings:

* we in the Bay Area have had numerous informal gatherings at coffee
shops, outdoor seating areas, other public areas (a la '2600"). And
this is with an attendance sometimes reaching 50.

(Which, in my crotchety opinion, is too high. Attendance over about
20 tends to make the event a lecture rather than a gathering.)

* agendas are seldom needed. We got by in the first, and most
interesting, few years of the Cypherpunks will little or no agenda in
advance. We sat around a table or on the floor and we talked.
Sometimes someone got up and went to a blackboard, if available, and
drew pictures.

* too much of a formal agenda tends to encourage "guest speakers,"
which, in my view, is _not_ a good idea. Sometimes a notable guest
speaker is a good idea, but usually the result is that someone not
part of the culture talks about what his or her company or
organization is doing...things which are readily discoverable from
Web sources.

* and don't be afraid to discuss politics and political implications
of technologies. Again, this used to be more common in the early days
of the Bay Area Cypherpunks meetings. (As time passed, as meetings
grew larger, politics just about vanished completely. Perhaps this is
too harsh an assessment, but I believe the Bay Area Cypherpunks
meetings in the past few years have just become the place for
twentysomething geeks to show up to talk to others and to check out
job prospects. Almost _none_ of the 50 or so attendees at a typical
Saturday gathering are participants in the Cypherpunks list,
tellingly.)

Bigger is not always better.

In conclusion, I encourage you to just "hang loose." ("lose sein")

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.