CDR: Re: "..do not count on the anonymity of the Internet to serve

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Sun Sep 3 06:50:27 PDT 2000

At 06:56 PM 9/1/00 -0400, Bill Orme wrote:
 According to one law
>enforcement
>spokesperson: "Anyone who would use the Internet to
>commit
>a crime should understand one thing -- do not count on
>the
>anonymity of the Internet to serve as a shield for
>your illegal
>conduct. As technology advances, so do our
>investigative techniques
>and our abilities to protect the public."

It would help to use a more anonymous terminal (than your college)
and not to attack someplace where you've worked.  And not to
have the stock options in your real name.

Sounds like an act of desparation, not a carefully planned attack.

Of course, the dude couldn't have done the attack had he not worked
there before, and info-traffickers will learn to use better authentication.

Means, motivation, opportunity.