CDR: Re: Whipped Europeans

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Sun Sep 3 03:15:21 PDT 2000

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, David Marshall wrote:

>Not to mention that there exists a certain peptide, the name of which
>escapes me at the moment, which is naturally occuring in the
>brain. It is five amino acids long, and exerts an effect about 5000
>times stronger than that of Heroin. There are far more where that came
>from.

Of course. Just as there is anandamide, the transmitter which hemp compounds
mainly mimic. Only you do not easily get such substances into the brain
without using a needle - proteins generally do not get through the
blood-brain barrier absent active transport. So you would need proteins
which, after somehow having been delivered in the blood stream whole, are
actively transported (this means extra 'handles' so that the molecule is
recognized) across the barrier, then we probably need a working mechanism
which then processes (cleaves, oxidises etc.) to obtain a final active
compound. All in all, you do not easily deliver proteins to the brain.

>Time for the War on Neurobiology.

I'll have to use that one.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university