CDR: Re: Whipped Europeans

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Sun Sep 3 03:02:23 PDT 2000

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, David Honig wrote:

>>Nuh. I think they should be happy about biology education - might one day
>>give them a nice young crackpot with the talent to create a drug user
>>killing flu...
>
>Then they lose a taxpayer or at least prison slave labor.

Well, who's there to say you cannot create less potent variants first, which
only make users sicker than normal people. Then, over a couple of decades,
increase the effect subtly. If done in secrecy we can accumulate 'research'
which shows that the drugs indeed do kill, lending popular support to even
stricter control/paternalism.

>The US govt funds research into vaccines that make recreational
>pharmaceuticals not fun in the innoculated.

I know. I think they already have the first prototypes ready, at least for
THC. Of course, it's not very dependable yet. Actually putting the relevant
functionality in a suitably well designed retrovirus could innoculate most
of the population without ever seeking consent. Again, possible to achieve
in secrecy since at least THC is known to be unpleasant to some
people - suddenly the percent would be 90. Biotech certainly opened some
interesting horizons for me... ;)

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university