CDR: Re: Zero Knowledge changes business model (press release)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Oct 31 14:14:49 PST 2000

I spent perhaps half an hour on the phone with Austin Hill this afternoon.
Here's what we discussed.

* I suggested that Freedom had been somewhat less than successful in the
marketplace. (Out of 3,500 cypherpunks messages I have stored here, only
one nym appears, and this is presumably one of the target audiences.) I
suggested that this is a change of strategy for ZKS in an era where
investors want profitability. Austin denied it, and said that over 100
engineers "right now" were still working on Freedom.

* I suggested the model they were moving toward was Andersen Consulting.
Austin said no, "Verisign is the better analogy." He said one difference
was that he anticipated ongoing licensing/fee arrangements between ZKS and
clients after original work is complete.

* ZKS will offer to store keys. "That includes us holding encryption keys."
Austin described the key-splitting the same way Adam has here. He refused
to say whether or not a third-party (Joe's Escrow Service) would ever hold
keys.

* ZKS appears to be targeting heavily-regulated areas like medical and
financial sectors. They will come in, set up a privacy-protective system,
perhaps provide some ongoing service, and (if so) collect ongoing fees. In
those cases, "a consumer solution like Freedom allowing anonymity doesn't
fit that market."

* Austin mentioned cell phones/wireless as a major area. He envisions
services such as if you call 911, your info is revealed, but not when
phoning other numbers.

* Tim below suggests that "Wouldn't a better approach be for Alice to
protect her own privacy?" The answer, generally, is yes. I suspect the
Brands patents can do much to that end. But Austin seems to be envisioning
a market in which *some* third party in the transaction, be it a business,
intermediary, or ZKS, possesses personal info about customers and only
receives what is necessary.

I welcome responses.

-Declan