CDR: Re: Visit a hacked site, loose your computers.

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Tue Oct 31 14:41:51 PST 2000

"Trei, Peter" wrote:

> Read the article. Of course the time is well known, and the logs
> are stamped.

I meant naive in my guess at what level of detail was recorded. Wouldn't
those same logs and those of the Yankee's ISP also show that his IP address
and equipment was NOT connected at the time of the break-in? Shouldn't his
lawyer immediately go after those records before they are conveniently
erased?

> You are naive, though, if you beleive that will stop
> an LEA from trashing the lives of innocents...

I've -never- underestimated to potential for abuse of power wherever it
concentrates.

> ...and of course they'll get away with it.

This is the biggest problem.And also the greatest weakness.

> Peter
>
> [Now, I'm not excusing the FBI's jackboot tactics in this case,
> but I will point out that Mr. Salomon poked at 'unusual' ports,
> and zone transfered yankee.com during his investigation. An
> IDS might well trigger an attack alert under those conditions.

Poking at ports is no crime. Or is it?

> The government's theft of his property after all this was
> explained, is of course inexcusable.]

No crime a'tall - we're just GovCorp property these days.

Mike