CDR: California bars free speech of those cutting deals on votes

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Oct 31 11:34:23 PST 2000

California has "shut down"--through a threatening letter--a site
which matches up folks who are willing to say they'll vote for Nader
in states where Gore is sure to win if other folks who had hoped to
vote for Nader will instead vote for Gore in order to help him in
swing states.

(Sounds complicated. But it's really simple. "I'll scratch your back
if you scratch mine." No money is changing hands, no actual "ballots"
are being traded.)

The Web site doing this is/was: http://www.voteswap2000.com/

The article on California's actions is:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001031/wr/campaign_traders_dc_1.html

BTW, I just "expressed my preference" at the site:
http://Winchell.com/NaderTrader/default.asp

No doubt I am even now more of a speech criminal. I wonder if a raid
is imminent.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.