CDR: Re: Ho to KICK OUT Junkbusters users

Igor Chudov ichudov at Algebra.Com
Tue Oct 31 09:13:55 PST 2000

sunder wrote:

> Igor Chudov wrote:
> >
> > I have a website (www.algebra.com) that makes money from banners. I have
> > a suspicion that a small percentage of my users uses Junkbusters proxy
> > in order to avoid seeing my banners.
>
> And what's so special about your website that viewers couldn't find the
> same content elsewhere, or would be willing to turn out viewing the ads
> just for your site?

Maybe there is nothing special about my site. And I don't mind
junkbusters users going elsewhere. I just do not want them to waste my
precious bandwidth.

> If someone's actively filtering out ads from your site, it is of course
> your right to not let them have access, but it's not likely that they
> would bend over backwards to tell JunkBusters or one of the other filters
> to let them view your banners.  So unless you have some unique and very
> compelling/attractive content, you're just going to alienate more users.

Well, they are pretty useless to me anyway.

> And setting a cookie on a web tracking GIF is not likely to win you any
> friends either.  Look at it this way, if they're filtering banner ads,
> they're likely filtering cookies also.  Even if you redirect them to a
> page that says "To view my great wonderous site, turn on cookies and
> allow banner ads" you are now forcing users to go through even more
> contortions.

They cannot use many features of my site without cookies anyway.
These features include a linear algebra workbench (a unique service
as far as I was able to determine), standardized testing, "My Homework"
and so on. These features store a lot of session information about the
users and use cookies to reference the stored data.

> At which point the smarter ones will realize that they need a specific
> cookie, and will just set it by hand.

I am not interested in a war of wits. I think that if 1) I indeed
have a nmeasurable part of bandwidth being used by junkbusters users,
and 2) junkbusters are easy to detect, then I woul dlike to do it and
kick them out.

I do not have the mania grandioza to believe that Junkbusters will
do anything just because Algebra.com found a smart ass way to detect their
users.

	- Igor.