CDR: Re: Zero Knowledge changes business model to Split Key Escrow(NSA-Key (press release)

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Oct 31 11:04:16 PST 2000

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Adam Shostack wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 04:07:18PM +0100, cyphrpnk wrote:

>| p.s. that freedom source code 2.0 for linux I was porting to BSD
>| I guess will go into the bit bucket!! 1984 speak my ass!!
>
>Sorry to hear that.  I guess your porting the code isn't enough for
>you to trust it.  Odd.
>
>Adam

The trust issue is not the code, the trust issue is the company.
If he doesn't feel that the company is committed to maintaining
appropriate levels of privacy, he chooses not to expend labor in
support of the company's software.  And he may trust version 2,
without trusting the company to produce a version 3 that he can
in good conscience recommend to anyone to use.

I have designed and built code for free for people who told me
they were going to use it one way -- and sent it to /dev/null when I
discovered that they intended to use it another.  It's as simple
as that.  These days, I tend to restrict my coding-for-free effort
to projects that will be useful *only* in the ways I think are
beneficial to society at large, or to projects that, used by everyone
according to their own whim, will at least cause society more good
than harm. (Note, I did not say "nations" or "governments" or
"businesses" or even "citizens" -- I have a peculiar idea of
society and what is beneficial to it).

				Bear