CDR: Re: Zero Knowledge changes business model to Split Key Escrow(NSA-Key (press release)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Oct 31 09:56:23 PST 2000

At 12:27 PM -0500 10/31/00, Adam Shostack wrote:
>|                                       legistlative Compliance...
>| Guess Lew Giles or the CSE came to visit
>
>By legislative compliance, we mean compliance with laws.  There are no
>key escrow laws in Canada.  There is a privacy law, bill C-6, and we
>will help companies comply with that.

Let's look at the key splitting aspect.

Alice has some secrets she wishes to protect with your product. Or
Alice is communicating with Bob and wishes the contents kept secret.
Standard stuff.

Of course, she could just use conventional PKS tools. Or even
Freedom, should she wish the fact of the communication itself to be
protected. Standard stuff.

But let us say she, for whatever reason, uses key splitting. Charles
and Debby are the holders of the split keys.

(If either Alice or Bob is the holder of one of the split keys, this
is as if the key is not split at all, of course. Modulo some slight
work factor issues.)

"Ensuring legislative compliance" now talks on a meaning which is
completely separate from whether key escrow laws have been passed.
Charles and Debby can be suboenaed (not sure what the Canadian, or
Iranian, or Baloneystan equivalents are). This subpoena may be in
secret, unknown to Alice. Or Alice and Bob.

And this process may not happen with just subpoenas. It will likely
happen with national security agencies. Without Alice knowing.

This is what happens when Alice or any other customer of your product
uses "trusted third parties." GAK beats crack any day.

This is the danger of building a "trusted third parties" system. And
is precisely the reason  the United Kingdom was campaigning for this
kind of system.

By building precisely the tools they and other governments would need
to implement such a system, you are making such a system more likely
to happen.

--Tim May

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.