CDR: Libertarians and political parties

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Oct 30 14:57:30 PST 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Speaking of such, here are some actual facts. I wrote about Rasmussen in a
> recent Wired article. Here's what their polls say:
>
>         http://www.portraitofamerica.com/html/poll-1468.html
>         Earlier this year, Rasmussen Research conducted a survey
>         measuring the electorate along a scale favored by many
>         libertarians. This survey found 16% of American voters are
>         functionally libertarian. However, only 2% of voters claim
>         the title of libertarian to describe their own views.

Which means nothing other than a clear demonstration that these terms are
inaccurate or mis-represented.

Hell, I can't be more anti-libertarian yet on many surveys I take that is
exactly what they list me. Why?

Because they don't have a section for 'strict constitutionalist'. It isn't
a question of category but rather a responce to limited categories and the
requirement that each participant fit into one of them.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com