CDR: Re: Ho to KICK OUT Junkbusters users

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Mon Oct 30 03:00:28 PST 2000

Igor Chudov wrote:
> This may or may not be true. This all depends on how junkbusters script
> works. Perhaps junkbusters filters out all 480x90 images, for instance. In
> which case I can place a 480x90 transparent gif at the bottom of my
> entrance page, and upon request of such gif I can set something in the
> user's cookie that would allow him/her further browsing. A lot of things
> are computer detectable.

why don't you simply look at the source?

> Maybe it is collapsing for companies who hire dozens of programmers
> to create some trivial nonsensical sites, e.g. drkoop.com. I created my
> site by myself, with no costs other than my time involved (and I
> enjoyed doing it anyway, so the true cost is near zero), and banners
> nicely supplement my income. I am not looking for a multimillion IPO,
> just looking to make some $$ after all expenses. I have the benefit of a
> nice name (www.algebra.com), so I do not need to spend any $$ at all to
> attract visitors.

without sparking a political discussion about the PC of banner ads, your
main problem is that banner services (i.e. external sources) are
undetectable to you because junkbuster never does anything to YOUR site
- it just refuses to grab the ads from the external site.

you may have a way if you would serve the banners yourself. but I doubt
there's money in that.