CDR: [ga] An open letter to Louis Touton (was) www.ester.dyson

brflgnk at cotse.com brflgnk at cotse.com
Sun Oct 29 19:39:40 PST 2000

Quoting Joe Baptista <baptista at pccf.net>:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 brflgnk at cotse.com wrote:
>
> > At 05:06 PM 10/29/00 -0500, Joe said:
> >
> > > John Palmer is on the right track ..
> >
> > This is the same John Palmer that once tried to unmoderate all of
> alt.*.  I
> > guess age does bring wisdom.
>
> I don't know - I'll ask.

Actually, that wasn't a question.  It's also the same John Palmer who mined UUCP
maps and spammed paper junk mail to several thousand sysadmins offering the
services of his Rabbit Network (whose logo Kibo once described as the ugliest in
history).  He was often described as Usenet's Best Bad Example, and was
semi-immortalized with his own alt.fan newsgroup.

I remember when he first started pushing alternative TLDs and urging people to
use "sane" DNS that recognized them.  At the time, I dismissed it as more of Mr.
Palmer's wackiness.  Little did I know that ICANN would rise up as it has, nor
did I predict the Open Root Server Project.

As I said, age brings wisdom (for all, it seems).  You are correct that John
Palmer is on the right track.  I wish him success in his endeavour.