CDR: digital angel (tracking device)

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Sun Oct 29 14:33:16 PST 2000

Straight from the "if we can do it, we should" dept, comes
the latest in personal tracking devices:

http://www.digitalangel.net/index.htm

>Applied Digital Solutions has developed a new technology that we believe
>will revolutionize E-Business security, emergency location and medical
>monitoring and commodities supply chain management (food safety). That
>technology has been named Digital Angel?.  ADS is actively seeking joint
>venture partners to develop and market this technology. We expect to
>produce a prototype of the device by the end of 2000. We believe the
>potential global market for this device - in all of its applications -
>could exceed $100 billion.
>

>Basic Features of Digital Angel?
>
>The idea behind the initial version of Digital Angel[tm] is to build
>a microchip that can be worn close to the body. This microchip will
>include biosensors that will measure the biological parameters of the
>body and store this information.

[..]

>The chip will be equipped with a micro battery. This battery
>will be self-rechargeable taking energy from the body or from its
>surroundings. All these components will be combined into a unit the size
>of a dime.

[..]

>The unit can be turned off by the wearer, thereby making the monitoring
>voluntary. It will not intrude on personal privacy except in applications
>applied to the tracking of criminals.

Heh.

>Digital Angel[tm] measures bodily parameters. It does not interact with
>the body chemically or biologically. Designed to be completely harmless,
>Digital Angel will not interfere with bodily functions in any way...

at least in this version.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5