CDR: Re: Mac created the modern Internet

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Oct 27 18:25:47 PDT 2000

At 12:58 AM -0400 10/27/00, Peter Tonoli wrote:

>I'm suprised with the amount of Mac users here, that no-one's mentioned
>BBS systems such as 'firstclass'. Firstclass was the first GUI based
>terminal application I ever used - it allowed you to call BBS'es while
>retaining an interface similar to the finder - at a reasonable speed too.
>Downloading files was simly a click and a drag away.

I used FirstClass sometime around 1989-90, maybe '88. I had a service
called "PC-Pursuit" which allowed me to dial-in to my ISP at no
charge.

However, dialing-in to bulletin boards was not very interesting
compared to using Usenet, then mailing lists and gopher and archie.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.