CDR: Dealing with Spam from Esther Dyson

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Oct 27 20:40:51 PDT 2000

By the way, a few minutes with Google turned up other instances of
Esther Dyson's spamming.

Here's just one such URL, along with the opening paragraphs:

http://channel.nytimes.com/1998/03/28/technology/28dyson.html

March 28, 1998

I Got Spammed by Esther Dyson:
Release, the Old-Fashioned Way

By LISA NAPOLI
  ecently, I got a note from the publisher of Release 1.0, the
venerable newsletter put out by the venerable (and mythic) godmother
of all things digital, Esther Dyson.

It wasn't a casual e-mail. It wasn't a letter asking me to write for
the newsletter. It wasn't even a personal note asking me to have
lunch, or attend her annual conference (which took place this week in
Tucson, where, for the first time, non-Release subscribers were
permitted to attend.)

The note was plain old-fashioned snail mail spam, asking me to fork
over nearly 700 bucks for a subscription.

Dear Lisa,

Esther Dyson and Jerry Michalski believe that someone who's achieved
your stature in our industry should be part of the Release 1.0
family. That's why they've suggested I write this letter to you.

Stature? How did they measure that? Did Jerry Michalski remember
sitting at the same table with me at a conference luncheon once? Did
Esther ever read my now deceased column, Hyperwocky? Did some
computer notice my name on all those mailing lists?