CDR: Re: Mac created the modern Internet

BENHAM TIMOTHY JAMES bentj93 at itsc.adfa.edu.au
Thu Oct 26 23:29:30 PDT 2000

> > Back in those days, I remember having a shell account at school, and
> > SLIP had just come out.  Someone had written a small program that would
> > allow users to run SLIP from userland and turn a dial-up shell into a
> > net connection.
>
> Sounds like SLiRP :).. Most annoying thing setting those things up over
> non 8-bit clean lines.

I was using something similar called SLAP or somesuch -- Australian product.
It worked quite well and might even be worth digging up now as an odball
way of multiplexing a telnet session (eg to improve the utility of
restricted access machines).

> > As the script kiddies got bolder and the laziness of the sysadmins and
> > developers started to show, the shell accounts went away.  More and more
> > people started offering unlimited network access, but busy signals put
> > a limit on that.
>
> It's still hard to get unlimited access since it costs around 16-19c a meg
> wholesale in Australia.

Tried dingoblue? $27.50 unlimited if you also sign up fo rtheir long distance
service (which is also cheap).

Be sure to quote 100641226 when you sign up and we'll both get $40.

Tim