CDR: Re: Legislative approaches to ID theft?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Oct 26 07:24:03 PDT 2000

Yeah, the sappy Congressional Privacy Caucus ("we ignore government
violations") is having a press conference in an hour to talk about
this bill:
  http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=00/10/13/0350220&mode=nested

I sent my intern.

Then there's the sappy media. I'll forward the complete note, but
one TV reporter just emailed me:

>In addition to interviewing pioneers in the field, we are looking for
individuals who have experienced an invasion of privacy over the
Internet.  More specifically, we are looking for men and women, over
the age of eighteen, who have experienced: stolen identity,
exploitation of personal information, loss of job due to employer
monitoring employee9s emails, etc.  Our discussions with anyone who
responds to the posting would be strictly confidential unless he/she
gave written permission and agreed to an interview.

Sigh.

-Declan