CDR: Re: RE: Wired News tech scorecard for U.S. House of Representatives

Neil Johnson njohnson at interl.net
Wed Oct 25 22:07:06 PDT 2000

> Its called 'parenting' but most are too busy, so they ask the State, or
> machines (censorware, v-chips, rating systems, etc.) under others'
control,
> to do it instead.

Any parent who lets a child have a TV or a computer in their bedroom now
days is nuts.
(Okay, My parents let me have my C64 in my bedroom, but I quickly got tired
of downloading monochrome porn at 300 baud and went back to playing
"Jumpman".  ;) ).

We severely limit our kids (both < 5 yrs old) TV time. Even then, they watch
mostly videos. Even some of those we have to fast forward through the
"previews" because of the content, ( An ad for "Batman" on a "There goes an
Bulldozer!" video, come on!).

However, that's my responsibility as parent, and not something I desire to
give up to anyone else non-voluntarily.

As for the V-Chip. I've seen enough programs rated "For All Ages" that are
not appropriate for  young kids to know that they are worthless. (By the way
I want a P-chip to filter Politicians, a BB-(Bible Beater) chip to filter
out the 700 Club. etc. I seem to remember that's what made the billions for
the character in Sagan's "Contact" ).

I do miss the old Bugs Bunny/Road Runner cartoons with their senseless
violence :)
If you haven't watched them lately on Saturday morning you'll find that they
have been heavily censored/edited to be quite PC.

Neil M. Johnson
njohnson at interl.net
http://www.interl.net/~njohnson
PGP Key Finger Print: 93C0 793F B66E A0C7  CEEA 3E92 6B99 2DCC