CDR: RE: Congress proposes raiding census records.

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Oct 25 17:34:33 PDT 2000

At 03:19 PM 10/25/00 -0400, Matt Elliott wrote:
>>I am puzzled why anybody would have bothered to answer the remaining
>>questions.
>
>I did the same thing and the census worker came by 4 times trying to get my
>wife or I to divulge more information.

that's because you failed to say the magic words to them.
	"Repeat after me - You have the right to remain silent."
	(Droid either gets it or doesn't, repeat as needed)
	"Anything you say can and may be used against you in a court of law"
	Droid: dittos...
	Droid: "You have the right to remain silent"
	"You have a right to a lawyer.  If you cannot afford a lawyer,
	one will be provided for you"
	Droid: dittos...

	"OK, so I'm planning to remain silent, and you can
	bring me a lawyer if you want to talk more."

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com