CDR: RE: Denver Judge rules Cops can seize bookstore records

Carskadden, Rush carskar at netsolve.net
Wed Oct 25 13:02:27 PDT 2000

How do they subpoena records from garden supply stores looking for people
who buy too many grow lamps or hydroponic setups? Do they just subpoena all
of these stores on a regular basis? What do they claim they are looking for
in the subpoenas? My understanding is that you pretty much have to know what
you are looking for and be fairly specific about it in the subpoena. If you
do not already know who is buying "too many" grow lamps or hydroponic
setups, how do you structure the subpoena? The only signed subpoenas that I
have seen that were grossly general and unsure of what was needed were
either A) Internet related (taking advantage of a seeming lack of knowledge
on the part of judges) or B) a case where the person who is being subpoena'd
is actually a victim of the crime being investigated. Do you have more
information on the garden supply store thing?

ok,
Rush Carskadden