CDR: Re: Gort in granny-shades (was Re: Al Gore goes cypherpunk?)

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Wed Oct 25 14:13:07 PDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 04:17:22PM -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> At 15:43 10/25/2000 -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> >As to sending it to lists which have subscriber-post-only, it is, as usual,
> >a consequence of spam prevention and not malice aforethought. Kinda sucks,
> >of course, because anonymous posters can't post. Hope they fix that in
> >future versions of majordomo, but I bet it'll be a while.
>
> The current version of majordomo allows for an authorized-poster file,
> which I use with one of my lists to let people who aren't on the list
> contribute. You could use a cron job to combine subscribers with add'l
> posters to allow some of the more-likely-to-respond cypherpunks to post.

Here's the cron-run script that I use to do it.  In my case
it combines the regular list and the list of subscribers to
the digest version and any other address that's been added to
the allowed posters list into a new allowed posters list.
If you set up majordomo to send rejected emails to the list
manager (the default) then any "legit" poster who's post
gets bounced by somehow not being on the approved list can
be added by the list operator.

#!/bin/sh
mjhome=/home/majordom
if [ $# -ne 3 ]; then
    echo "usage: updateperms list1 list2 permlist"
    exit 1
fi
cd $mjhome/lists
if [ $1 -nt $3 -o $2 -nt $3 ]; then
 cat $1 $2 $3 | sort | uniq > $3.tmp && mv $3.tmp $3
 echo "updated $3"
fi

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5