CDR: Filters

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Oct 25 10:39:29 PDT 2000

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, David Honig wrote:

>At 08:06 PM 10/24/00 -0400, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>>If nobody comes up with some filterware that works, then there will
>>probably be continuing pressure to regulate content.
>
>Its called 'parenting' but most are too busy, so they ask the State, or
>machines (censorware, v-chips, rating systems, etc.) under others' control,
>to do it instead.

Machines under *others* control?  I think we have different ideas of
what "filters" mean.  I support the right of people to not see what
they don't want to see, provided they can do it without restricting
what the rest of us see.  If they can buy software that blocks out
the things they don't want to see, and run it, good for them and
good for the software provider.

Ditto Privately owned libraries - but probably not public ones, at
least not unless they also maintain an *UN*censored connection.

The v-chip does *not* prevent programming from reaching my home -
it doesn't even prevent programming from reaching the homes of
those who've willingly purchased and installed it, but it prevents
stuff they'd find objectionable from being displayed on their
screens.  This is their right.  After all, we're talking about
*their* screens.

				Bear