CDR: Re: Congress proposes raiding census records.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 25 10:35:49 PDT 2000

At 12:38 PM -0400 10/25/00, David Honig wrote:
>At 09:45 AM 10/25/00 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>I didn't answer even that question. I did not return the form.
>>
>>My result was the same as yours: No visits or inquiries.
>>
>>That's a shame. If I get fined $100, I can write a column about my
>>experience and sell it for much more.
>>
>>-Declan
>
>Some folks who didn't send theirs in did get visits by (otherwise
>unemployable) censusworkers.  They went away when told to do so,
>I'm told.
>
>My favorite census story was the (true) one where the (nice old lady
>working for the Fedz) census worker got literally eaten by the dozen or so
>dogs some nonresponding dude kept in his yard.

I had a "pre-visit" by a pair of women--perhaps Census workers,
perhaps not--about a year before the actual Census. They told me they
were listing structures on properties so that Census workers could
then make accurate tallies of the outbuildings, structures, etc.

While one of the women engaged me in conversation about how many
rooms my house had--I didn't tell her anything--the other woman
started to enter my side yard, through an archway.

I yelled over to her, "Please don't trespass on my property."

She retreated, and the first woman mumbled something about "not
liking a threatening tone." She said they were required by the rules
to check properties for evidence of numbers of residential units,
out-buildings, "granny flats," etc.

Angry by this time, as I am wont to get, I told the both of them that
the U.S. Census exists for one and only one purpose: counting the
population for the sole purpose of the apportionment of Congress.

It doesn't exist to track races (Japs, for example), to make pretty
maps of income, marital status, computer usage, sexual preferences,
numbers of pets, numbers of televisions and computers, and so on. It
just doesn't.

They retreated down my driveway (they had walked in...I assume they
were walking to all houses on the street). I half-way expected Yet
Another Stern Call from the Sheriff, but it never came (either that
or my phone line was busy, as is usually the case during the day).

When the Census form eventually arrived I got the short one. I
answered only the question about the number of adults living at the
address. I wrote "Aryan" for my race...I figured if the "favored
minorities" got to have dozens of sub-classes ("Asian American,
Pacific Islander, but not Chamorro Islands," or somesuch), then I
could certainly write down "Aryan."

[For those not in the U.S., the Census is a slave to political
correctness. We have the spectacle of those of Spanish descent, as in
"from Spain," writing down some variant of Hispanic for their "race,"
even though a Spaniard is of course of European, aka white, stock,
while most Mexicans are much different. Amerindian, or whatever. And
the Asians are divided into a dozen or so groups which lobbied for
inclusion in the Census. Meanwhile, Finns, Irish, Poles, Israelis,
Russians, Arabs, BUT NOT SPANIARDS, are all lumped in as "white."
Bizarre.]

In the Censuses of 1980 and 1990 I think I wrote down "Human Race" or
something like that. Now I try to be as politically incorrect as
possible.

Fucking statists.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.