CDR: Re: Re: Re: Gort in granny-shades (was Re: Al Gore goes cypherpunk?)

petro petro at bounty.org
Tue Oct 24 22:46:21 PDT 2000

For me the description of an ideal movie is "A series of gunshots and
explosions strung together by one liners". I go to the movies for
amusement, not intellectual satisfaction.

That said:

>By the way, I didn't take seriously the view that _we_ are living in
>a Matrix world. The film was ambivalent on the claim that _this_
>world is a Matrix world: it was more plausible to buy the timeline
>Morpheus gives of how _our_ world becomes the "Matrix" world. That
>is, the events taking place are "really" a few hundred years from
>now, with the machines having set the "environment bit" to "late
>20th century." I thought this was obvious. Maybe not. Normally I
>don't worry ovemuch about such subtleties, but it seemed to me some
>fraction of Bob Hettinga's hate-rant had something to do with the
>supposed conceit that _our_ world is the "Matrix" world. I didn't
>take it this way. Rather, I took it as a classic SF story,
>describing some _possible future_.

	The *ONE* thing that beefed me big time about the "Matrix"
was the excuse they gave for the computer keeping all the people
alive.

	The claim (as I remember) was that the bodies were used to
store/create energy for the computer to run.

	It *really* irked me.

>It's fun for a few seconds to think about the implications of _this_
>world being a simulation in the Matrix, but it doesn't hold up, even
>in the context of the film's conceits. (I mean "conceit" in the
>lit-crit sense, not in the common sense.)

	If this world *were* a computer generated construct, it would
explain a few things.
--
A quote from Petro's Archives:
"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech."