CDR: RE: Wired News tech scorecard for U.S. House of Representatives

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Oct 24 17:08:54 PDT 2000

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>that only dealt with a narrow issue. We could have included ones such as
>HR1501, but then we couldn't have figured out whether reps voted for it
>based on their support of filtering software or firearm restrictions.
>
>-Declan

I think that filtering software is an interesting case.

While most of us would not use filtering software, I honestly think
that it's important to freedom.

If nobody comes up with some filterware that works, then there will
probably be continuing pressure to regulate content.

Count me in favor of filtering software -- just not in favor of its
*compulsory* use.  I want all the idiots who care about such things
to filter out the sites I like and not see or think about them any
more. 'cause if they think about them, they're likely to try and
eliminate them.

				Bear
		(Who has read the odd copy of "Salon"
	 	and sometimes reads in the alt.sex.stories
                archives...)