CDR: Re: Watermarking Utopia ...

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Oct 24 16:14:09 PDT 2000

I think I know what the SDMI "challenge" is really trying to
accomplish.

These people are not trying to seriously test their watermarking
schemes -- those are broken from the getgo because the players will
be in control of (and owned by) their adversaries, and they know it.

Moreover, it should be possible to create a program that can render
any all-instrumental music in a watermark-free form, by simply
recognizing the instrument (from the watermarked sound) and
substituting with the same instrument from a recorded library
of sounds, plus standard filters for modulation and mixing, so
the existence of a watermarked version is almost irrelevant
except in cases of vocal music.

Nor are they trying to impress stockholders with the security of
their stuff.  There is no competition in the watermarking business
yet; as far as stockholders are concerned, you are doing it or you
are not.  Nobody's is "more secure" than anybody else's, hence
effort spent convincing stockholders that the security is an
advantage is a waste of time.

What they are trying to do, I think, is to set up a legal status
indicating that they "did their homework".  That way, when the
crack of their published system happens (and it will) they can more
easily get a favorable judgement from a court and try to legislate
and sue the crack program out of existence.

I know that DeCSS had this happen to it even though the MPAA
didn't really do their homework -- but given what happened with
DeCSS, I don't think the SDMI group could make a really solid
case that the crack was totally unexpected in their case - and
the DeCSS case hinged on expectation.

Security by siccing a herd of lawyers on the incursion may be
ridiculous from a technical standpoint - but it is effective in
restricting what a business enterprise can do, as long as that
business is owned by someone using a True Name who must answer
to the law.

				Bear