CDR: Re: Killing Judges

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Oct 23 23:14:40 PDT 2000

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 03:49:52PM -0700, jim bell wrote:
> "Did the PI hear of this incident?".   (There were presumably at least 100
> people in the courthouse or nearby when this incident occurred:  one might
> think that it would be very unlikely if ALL of them didn't call the news
> media.)   Naturally, she had to point out that they were being "good
> citizens" by NOT reporting"every bomb threat".    I should have asked her if

I hate to defend my colleagues, but this is reasonable. I don't know
if bomb threats that turn out to be fake are inherently newsworthy.

I would probably have made the same decision, given limited
resources. Unless there was some evidence that this was a pattern of
threats, etc.

> At the time, though not publicly, I speculated that to try to counteract
> this, a small counter-media organization might be formed, containing as
> little as a sole individual..  I figured that it would announce itself as a
> sounding-board for this kind of thing.  It would receive, anonymously, any
> sort of announcement, statement, threat, promise, warning, etc.  It would
> combine these anonymous snippets, and deliver them (quite openly, in a
> recorded and documented fashion) to all the various news media organizations
> that might otherwise want to ignore what was being said.    Since this

What you're describing could well be a competing publication. You'd
presumably have greater legal protection that way in any case.

I can see it now: "CJ and JB's BombNewsWire"

-Declan