CDR: Re: Al Gore goes cypherpunk?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Oct 23 23:39:06 PDT 2000

At 2:08 AM -0400 10/24/00, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>http://www.rollingstone.com/sections/magazine/text/excerpt.asp?afl=rsn&lngF
>eatureID=120&lngStyleID
>
>                           What's in your top five from the past year?
>
>                           Being John Malkovich; East Is East; Shall We
>                           Dance? I liked Gladiator a lot - I thought that was
>                           an excellent movie. I loved The Matrix. I loved the
>                           metaphor. Somebody gigged me in the mainstream
>                           media for not liking too much violence in the movies
>                           but simultaneously liking that movie. Well, you
>                           know, it was rated for adults. It was very
>violent, but
>                           it was a terrific movie. And I can hardly
>wait for the
>                           sequel.

This is not new. Al Gore was enthusiastic about "The Matrix" and then
the Columbine shootings happened. He back-pedalled and began
explaining away his enthusiasm, with language like the above, about
it being suitable for adultsbutnotchildren, etc.

This says more about the culture of political correctness in politics
than about his actual views.

(Sort of comparable to the demands by some on our own list who
periodically demand that list members "denounce" acts of terrorism or
whatever it is they don't like. "If you don't come out against the
bombings of federal buildings, then you are as guilty as the
bombers.")

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.