CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

An Metet anmetet at mixmaster.shinn.net
Mon Oct 23 13:43:33 PDT 2000

At 23:31 -0700 10/22/00, Tim May wrote:

> As I wrote in my previous article, IT IS NOT TRUE that private
> hospitals must accept all those who appear at their doorstep. This
> would be a "taking," and is not constitutionally permissable.

Unfortunately, I'd bet it's just a matter of time until some protected
minority successfully sues such a hospital for "discriminating" against
them for their assumed inability to pay.

i.e. "They *assumed* I couldn't pay my bills I'm black and don't have
insurance.  How dare they turn me away, racists!"

It doesn't seem to require much of a leap to go from "Denny's is public
and can't refuse to serve blacks" to "St. John's is public and can't
refuse to serve blacks."

Hospitals will, of course, remain "free" to turn away adult white
heterosexual males.