CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Mon Oct 23 05:57:03 PDT 2000

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Jim Choate wrote:

>In a un-regulated market the insurance companies will focus on profits
>alone and that unfortuantely (and much to the chagrin of the
>libertarian/anarchy crowd) means that there will actualy be LESS insurance
>available and it will exist at a higher cost.

That could only happen, without regulation, if monopoly powers were abused
pretty badly. I don't think this one has a pulse.

>Hell, look at the aircraft industry for contrary evidence.

I think that is the worst possible example of a poorly working 'free'
market. It's heavily driven by military funding and *strictly* regulated
even when not. Generally the only intrinsically bad side I can think of is
the high barrier of entry caused by massive R&D and materials investment and
low volume deliveries.

>And what you seem to miss is that your 'free market' theory is screwed for
>the simple reason that real life doesn't conform to free market theory
>without some major modifications (that happen to require at least light
>regulation).

Hmm. This is rather pointless when the opposition does not care about casual
death/suffering/whatever.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university