CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

petro petro at bounty.org
Sun Oct 22 22:59:51 PDT 2000

>>  That's true, but it is irrelevant.  As long as insurance companies
>>  and hospitals are privately owned, putting a requirement like this
>>  one on them constitutes theft of their resources.  If you want to
>>  have them engaging in charity, set up a charity and solicit money
>>  instead.  ie, you can ask but you don't have permission to steal.
>>

>I think the government has a right to do whatever it needs to do to maintain

	You don't think very well then.

>the health and well-being of its population.  That is the purpose of
>the government.

	Not in the United States of America it isn't.

>>  Everybody dies of something.  Some are likely to die sooner than
>>  others, due to accidents of birth or extreme lifestyle.  That is
>>  reality.  I persist in thinking that "freedom" means everybody
>>  gets to decide how to use his/her own talents and property and how
>>  to deal with his/her own deficiencies, genetic or otherwise.
>
>That is one way of defining freedom.  I view freedom as the right of
>people to live happy, productive lives.  A discriminatory policy such
>as this one would infringe on that freedom.

	You have been completely brainwashed.

	You have a no idea what a "right" is.

>>  I also persist in believing that, as a philosophical point, nobody
>>  who is *compelled* to do something can be considered a good person
>>  for doing it.  I also feel that history has shown us that those who
>>  receive charity compelled from others have never appreciated the
>>  work and sacrifice that it represents.  Compelled charity is
>>  morally and emotionally meaningless.
>
>Fine, so the insurance companies won't be considered "good."  Who
>cares?  The point is, people who need medical care would be getting it.

	The point is that you are *forcing* me to part with my
productive labor to support someone else.

	This makes me unhappy. Under your beliefs, you can't do this,
as I have a right to be happy.
--
A quote from Petro's Archives:
"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech."