CDR: Re: Privacy Debate at the Commonwealth Club in SF (fwd)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Oct 22 21:50:56 PDT 2000

At 6:20 AM +0200 10/23/00, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>[Fwd]
>
>For anyone in the SF Bay Area who is even mildly interested in the privacy
>discussion, I highly recommend that you attend a public affairs-style
>discussion on Internet privacy to be held at The Commonwealth Club on
>Thursday, October 26, from 5:15 -- 7:15pm.
>
>The discussion will be moderated by John Markoff of The New York Times.
>Panelists include: Bob Lewin, President and CEO of TRUSTe; Marc Rotenberg,
>Exec. Dir. of EPIC; FTC Commissioner Mozelle Thompson; and Chris Kelly,
>Chief Privacy Officer for Excite at Home.
>
>Together, the panel represents the five points that are driving the privacy
>discussion: the media, self-regulation, government, industry, and advocacy.
>Let's see if they can agree on anything.

Funny how these same names keep cropping up in all sorts of talks and
road shows.

As for the "five points," I certainly don't see any representation
from the broad contingent (users of PGP, Napster users, punks,
students, anarchists,...) who basically say "Fuck it, I'll do what I
want!"

In any case, having attended several of the various crypto, Clipper,
privacy, and net regulation panel discussions over the years, I know
them to be a waste of time.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.