CDR: Re: Risk and insurance

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Oct 22 21:20:09 PDT 2000

At 2:44 PM -0700 10/22/00, Greg Broiles wrote:

>>>That's the whole idea of insurance, isn't it?
>>>

>>You're trolling, aren't you?
>>
>>Insurance is a good idea for the insured because it takes
>>money to make money.
>
>On the topic of risk and insurance, and apropos discussion of
>reading lists, cypherpunks may find the book "Against the gods: The
>remarkable story of risk" by Peter Bernstein of interest.

I support this recommendation. A readable book for the layman (most
of us), on a par with past classics like "Lying with Statistics" and
"Lady Luck." Available in a trade paperback for about $15 or so.

The book I recommended a week or two ago, Judea Pearl's "Causality,"
is much more advanced in its mathematics. (But the math is important
if one is actually trying to construct the causality diagrams Pearl
is talking about.)

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.