CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

James A.. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Oct 22 20:12:45 PDT 2000

     --
At 07:09 PM 10/22/2000 -0700, Nathan Saper wrote:
 > I think the government has a right to do whatever it needs to do to
 > maintain the health and well-being of its population.  That is the
 > purpose of the government.

Then the government should be raiding your home to check on your
consumption of chocolate, and spying on your messages to detect if you are
secretly arranging for the purchase or sale of forbidden substances.

 > That is one way of defining freedom.  I view freedom as the right of
people to live happy, productive lives.

As contented sheep.

 > Fine, so the insurance companies won't be considered "good."  Who
 > cares?  The point is, people who need medical care would be getting
 > it.

We cannot provide all the medical care for everyone who might want it.  The
question then is who decides who lives and who dies?

If the fortunate are somehow compelled to pay for the less fortunate, that
apparatus of compulsion is going to decide whether you deserve your open
heart surgery or other expensive treatment.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      GUBFD2UeVQbTblq9mDTKK3VT3Zb2kipPNZRPhilI
      4bXMDF9BDJEBTLlQ+J9MAOym72PaOobmLE+ThdUZU