CDR: Re: Re: Re: why should it be trusted?

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Sun Oct 22 02:58:31 PDT 2000

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, petro wrote:

>	How are you going to make sure that people do the things that
>make them healthy?

Why should you? Whoever said effectiveness is a requirement?

>	Believe it or not, not all people in this world are
>hardworking. Not all people in this world are willing to put forth
>much effort at all, especially for long term issues like health.

I certainly am not. I worry about sickness when it comes, and if it's bad
enough, suicide is painless.

>	So how are you going to make sure that people do the things
>they need to do to keep them healthy? Pass laws?

Usually people's decisions on matters related to health have little to do
with the expected cost of getting ill. Not one of the people I know exercise
to save money. They exercise to have fun, feel good, look good and to not
get sick, which is generally unpleasant regardless of cost. Generally I know
few people which are not in exceptional health.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university