CDR: Re: Re: Insurance (was: why should it be trusted?)

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Sun Oct 22 02:50:59 PDT 2000

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, petro wrote:

>	There are some hardcore anarchists who claim that their
>vision of anarchy doesn't, but if (as an example) Alice cannot direct
>the life of bob *at* *all*, how can she prevent Bob from
>*voluntarily* joining (or in fact creating) a hierarchical
>relationship?

In no way. But in this case Bob does not abide by the same idealism that
bounds Alice and the point is moot. Anarchy brought to its logical
conclusion for all practical purposes precludes hierarchical relationships
between those who share the ideology.

Really, from what little I know about anarchy, I believe its rhetoric
revolves less around the concept of individual rights than it does around
the one of equality. In that context your above emphasis on volition seems
to lose some of its relevance.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university