CDR: Re: H-WEB: G Radnitzky on Hayek & libertarianism

Harmon Seaver hseaver at harmon.arrowhead.lib.mn.us
Sun Oct 22 06:09:46 PDT 2000

"R. A. Hettinga" wrote:

> Of course, he talks about "law as the force which allocates property
> rights", and most cypherpunks would dispute that, knowing of better,
> cryptographic ways of allocating control of property.

     I definitely intend to read more on Hayek, and am not disagreeing with
the above, but I'm having a hard time imagining how this would work with real
property. I'm living in my house, all paid for, you can't kick me out and move
in since the law says it's my house. Take away the state, and I (and perhaps
my family and friends, neighbors, tribe, whatever) simply kill you when you
try to move in, which is clearly not workable in many situations, i.e., you
have more men with guns.
     I can easily understand how crypto can protect intellectual property,
ecash, etc. but not real estate, cars, whatever, without ultimately a state or
some sort of arbitrating body (men with guns) to enforce title. Crypto --
digisigs -- to prove title, of course, but title has never meant much to men
with guns who wanted it.
      And don't take this to mean I'm arguing against abolition of the state,
I'm just looking for an explanation on how this would work.