CDR: Re: Re: why should it be trusted?

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 20 06:10:05 PDT 2000

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Ken Brown wrote:

>I think the point is that as they will have sequence data as well as
>family history they can use them to validate each other.

As a matter of fact, marker data is quite enough for that sort of
application. Besides, the related pattern matching problem is surely a lot
easier than the ones encountered in shotgun sequencing, which seem to be
well managed nowadays. Once sequence data is available, I'm quite sure it
is possible to reconstruct the genome of past generations of Icelanders upto
considerable accuracy - random mutations in the timespan considered are
negligible and more overlapping information (multiple children by a single
parent) is available in the older generations. Perhaps Gattaca wasn't so far
off base, after all...

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university