CDR: Re: It's all property, folks (was Re: Insurance (was: why should it be trusted?))

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 20 04:51:06 PDT 2000

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

>My lungs are property. If some one injures them, I have a tort. I don'tô
>even need legislation.

Well, you are apparently the one doing the damage - who the fuck told you to
breathe in the first place?

>My land, and that of others, is property, if someone pollutes it, I have a
>tort. If someone upstream pollutes a river running through my land, I have
>a tort.

Hell no. You cannot claim to own the water before it enters your
property. You can always not let it on your property.

>They also own their air above them -- up to maximum missile range. :-).

By which token they have every right to charge you for using the air. That's
one way to view taxes.

>So, folks, eventually, the very ocean, even intra-solar space itself, will
>also be property.

Yep. If crypto-libertarianism is allowed to spread. I think people won't.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university